04 October 2010

Sunday/Monday activities

Happy Monday! So I may have mentioned this previously, but on Sundays in Spain everything is pretty much dead. There isn't much hope of doing anything productive, unless you just feel like wandering around. I did a lot of wandering around on Saturday, and the weather wasn't great on Sunday, so I opted to just hang around the apartment for most of the day. That was fine, I got caught up on sleep, but I also start to go a bit stir crazy! So in order to get out of the apartment and move around a bit, I decided to go to mass. In the previous post I showed a picture and talked about the Basilica de la Macarena. Well trust me, it's even more beautiful inside than it is outside. The 8:00 PM mass was packed and even though I didn't understand everything that was being said, it was very cool. I've been a Catholic my whole life so the structure of a mass is pretty much constant no matter where you are. The responses and prayers were in a different language, but I understood what was happening. The best part was at the end when the whole church started singing a song to the Virgen. I didn't know what they were singing, but it was really beautiful. Of course, when I left church it was pouring down rain. It had been threatening to rain all day and never did, that is until I finally decided to go out. Figures. Haha.

So Monday morning I was eager to get out and about after being cooped up most of the day on Sunday. I had talked to my friend Paige who studied in Sevilla last spring and she told me how to set up an intercambio in the city. An intercambio is just a language exchange. I, as an English speaker, will meet with a Spanish speaker, and we will spend half of the time talking in English and half talking in Spanish. Now I do a lot of talking in Spanish just in daily life, but I think it will be nice to put aside some time just for language/conversational practice. Plus it will give me something to do and will give me a way to meet more people.So Paige told me how to go about setting this up so I headed to the centro and went to the Cultural Center where she studied to submit an intercambio application. Hopefully I'll be hearing back soon to set up times!

After grocery shopping and cooking lunch, I did some studying for a few hours to keep me busy until the Rotary meeting tonight. The meeting was of the Sevilla Club (my host club), and I got to meet two Rotarians visiting from Coral Gables, Florida. They were both extremely nice and it was very interesting to talk to them about their experiences here. We have quite the list of things on the agenda for the week! Tomorrow night (Tuesday), I will be going to the Macarena Club with Noelle and Yoli (the two Floridians). Wednesday afternoon is the Rueda de Prensa, which is basically a press release where the club announces their pick for the Sevillano del Año. And Thursday afternoon Noelle and Yoli invited me to eat lunch with them and their Spanish friends. I should have plenty to keep me busy!

There are some more exciting events in the future, but I'll let you know about them as they pop up. But for now, hasta luego :)

No comments: