17 January 2011

First weekend back in Sevilla

I can't believe I've been back in Sevilla for just over a week now. It feels like I never left! I had a very fun and relaxing first weekend back. It began on Friday afternoon when Andy, Janet and I made a trip to Ikea. Ikea is in a small town just outside of Sevilla, so it requires an afternoon. I didn't need anything in particular, but I always love a trip to Ikea! I ended up getting a few little things, but it was really fun to spend the day with Andy and Janet (Janet is an American that teaches at the same school as Andy). After we got back to Andy's, Janet and I headed back to her place. Both Andy and Janet live in Triana, so it was much more convenient than hiking back to my place in la Macarena. I had never seen Janet's apartment before so it was very cool. We ended up making some dinner over before heading back to Andy's again. We picked up Andy then all hopped on a bus and headed up north to my place.

Andy and Janet invited me to a party they were going to that night in the Alameda, an area that is much closer to my house. It was a house-warming party being thrown by another American girl that works in the same town as the two of them. We all swung by my place then headed into town for the party. Now none of us really knew what to expect, but it ended up being a great time. Molly, the host of the party, was very nice and welcoming. The house she had just moved into had three other rooms and had representation from all over Europe and the world. One of her roommates is Irish/Spanish, another French/Irish, and another French. In general it was the United Nations of parties. It was a lot of fun to meet people from all over and hear about their experiences and what brought them to Sevilla. Friday night was a lot of fun, but it had been a very long day. Consequently, I spent most of the day Saturday lying around the house and studying. Since every thing is closed on Sundays, Saturdays are good days to run all the errands you need to get done before Sunday. Most importantly, going to the grocery store. One weekend I forgot to go to the store and was left with next to no food in my house on Sunday, so I have learned my lesson!

Sunday morning I woke bright and early (on Spanish time, early on a Sunday is about 10, haha) and headed into town to meet up with Julia. Every Sunday they have an art show in the Plaza del Museo featuring a lot of local painters and artists. I had never been, so it was a good opportunity to check it out. It was really cool with paintings spread out all over the plaza (see pictures) and people wandering throughout. After a coffee break and some much needed catching up with Julia, I headed back home to hit the books again. Later that afternoon I went over to Ana's place to hang out and practice flamenco together (her boyfriend Alex is a GREAT sport, I'm almost tempted to say he enjoys it :) ). Later that evening we decided to all go out for a walk to the centro. When Ana and I walk together, we normally just end up chatting so much that we lose track of our destination, then we turn around and walk back. That was essentially what happened, except on our way home we wandered through a neighborhood called Alfalfa and found an incredible frozen yogurt store. It is one of those trendy new places where you can mix in delicious things like nutella, fruit, and chocolate. Yum! It was a great way to end a good weekend.

This morning I had my last práctica for my Preventive Medicine class (yay!), so I'm looking forward to having the mornings free for the rest of the week. Tonight I am heading to a Rotary meeting where I will hopefully find out what is on my Rotary agenda for the coming weeks. I hope you all had a great weekend and I'll check back in soon! Below are some pictures from the art show, enjoy!




No comments: