18 June 2011

Fundación Gota de Leche

The home base for the Foundation
Hey everyone! So I know this is late coming, but I finally want to post a little bit more about the organization I volunteered with this year. I think it is a great organization and even though my time working with them is done, I think Vicky and the rest of the employees and volunteers of the Fundación Gota de Leche should be acknowledged for the amazing work they do in the community.

The room where the kids come to shower during school.
Shortly after getting settled in Spain and adjusting to my classes at the University, I started searching for opportunities for volunteer work. I researched several non-profit organizations throughout the city and eventually decided on one that best fit what I was looking to do. The organization is called the Fundación Gota de Leche and seeks to help underprivileged children in schools across Seville. They have two primary programs that focus on different components of the children’s health. The first is a program called “Desayunos Saludables,” or “Healthy Breakfasts,” that puts together healthy, balanced meals for the kids in the morning before school since they don’t have the resources to eat breakfast at home. A lot of times their parents will just give them a cup of café, which is not what a 10 year old needs in the morning. Not only does eating a healthy breakfast help you think and learn in school, but it is the key to any healthy diet, which is extremely important to many of these kids that suffer from malnutrition. The second program put on by the Fundación is a Hygiene project. Some of the more underprivileged children, particularly children of "gitanos," or gypsies, have very bad hygiene. They come into school in dirty clothes, smelling bad, and oftentimes with lice. I work at a school near my house and help the kids shower twice a week. We provide them with clean clothes that are generously donated by other schools in the area as well as check them for lice and any other injuries. The Fundación Gota de Leche is a great organization that highlights two very important components of good health, particularly for children. I have learned to be more patient and compassionate by working with the kids. It has also taught me to put aside the prejudices imposed by society. The gitanos are typically the lowest tier of society and are often seen digging into garbage cans or begging on the streets, so it is easy to fall into the pattern of always thinking of them like that. However, the kids that I work with are just that, kids, and they have the chance to live and grow and maybe one day get out of that life. Sometimes I have bad days working with the kids, but remembering that encourages me to be patient and understanding when I face a difficult situation.

All of the towels and hygienic materials for the kids.

Wednesday was my last day working with the kids and it was sad to say goodbye, but I know they are in good hands. Vicky and the other employees dedicate their lives to helping these kids and it is great to see the giving spirit. I hope to keep in touch with Vicky to hear about the Foundation's progress, because it is facing hard economic times right now as well, along with the rest of the country. Being a part of this organization made me feel much more integrated into my community and I believe it is an experience that has helped prepared me for medical school.

No comments: