28 April 2011

Flamenco Dancing!

Hey everyone! So you have heard me mention several times that I am taking Flamenco Classes. I attend an Academy close to my house, and I go every week with my friend Ana. In class we learn several different types of Flamenco including Sevillanas, which is what people dance at la Feria de Abril (the Spring Festival in Sevilla), along with bulerías and alegrías, two different types of Flamenco. The classes are a lot of fun, and also an excellent workout - we always come out sweating and exhausted! Our instructor, Rocío, teaches 3 different classes. One for adults that is Tuesday and Thursday mornings, another for adults (typically a younger group, closer to my age) on Mondays and Wednesdays, plus a class for girls (I'd guess ages 6-10, adorable!). In June all of us will be putting on a show at the Teatro Bellavista. The proceeds of the show will benefit the "Asociación Española de Algias Perineales y Neuralgias Pedendas," an association that strives to inform about a painful neurological disorder that affects women, including a woman in our Academy. On Tuesday of this week a reporter from GiraldaTV, a local news station in Sevilla, came to the Academy to do a piece on the disease and the benefit show we will be performing in June. You can watch the video here, and even though you might not understand the words, you can see me and see a little bit of our dance! Enjoy!

No comments: