It is now officially my third full day in Sevilla. And although things are going well in general, I've definitely faced a few road blocks so far! I'm beginning to understand more of the culture and how things work...for example you buy stamps and envelopes in an estanco, but you by paper and stationary in a papelería. There are specific stores for specific tasks...unlike in the U.S. where you can buy anything you'd ever need in Target! There is a big department store called El Corte Inglés, where you can buy pretty much anything, but my neighborhood is much more quaint and doesn't have any huge stores like that, so I'm getting to know the local shops.
The thing that I have been struggling most with over the past few days is the more administrative tasks. Yesterday I attempted to open a bank account, but I was told that I couldn't open a bank account until I had a foreign identity card. In order to get the foreign identity card I have to go to a specific department of the police that deals with foreigners. Well, I tried to go this morning and was turned away because there were SO many people there that they wouldn't be able to help me. So tomorrow I am going to try again...and this time I'll make sure to be waiting there when the doors open! Wish me luck! Hopefully once I get this taken care of things will go much more smoothly :)
My flatmate Marta arrived today. She is the girl through whom I found the apartment, so I've been looking forward to meeting her for several weeks. I had lunch with her and her father, and it was the first real opportunity I've had to really practice my conversational Spanish. Once the third and final flatmate gets here tomorrow, we'll have a full apartment! We're going to have a house meeting to sign the lease and talk about cleaning responsibilities and such.
I hope things are going well on that side of the pond! Talk to you soon :)
No comments:
Post a Comment