23 September 2010

Life as a foreigner...

What a day today has been! It is sort of a long process that reached its pinnacle today, but I'll do my best to explain it. It all has to do with the order of operations of administrative tasks in Spain. A few days ago I tried to open a bank account, and I was told I could not open an account until I had a Foreign Identity Card. Well, I knew I would have to get this card eventually (the visa I got in the U.S. is only good for 90 days), but I did not think it was necessary to do it so soon. After a little bit of research I figured out where I would need to go to get this taken care of. It is called the Office of Foreigners and is located in the Plaza de España, a beautiful landmark in the city. Apparently a scene in one of the Star Wars movies was filmed there? I think it is Attack of the Clones (the second one), but if someone knows for sure let me know. Anyway! The office opens at 9, so yesterday morning I took a bus down there and arrived at around 9:30, thinking I was there pretty early in the day. Well, I was turned away because I was too late, and the woman told me to come back the next morning very early.
So this leads me to this morning. Last night I debated for awhile what "very early" meant in Spanish terms. I figured since the office opened at 9, if I got there at 7:30 I would be in line plenty early. Well, I got up at 6:30 and made the trek to the Plaza de España, only to find that even though I was there an hour and a half early, there were still some 30 people in front of me! I ended up getting a number and waiting around the office for a full 8 hours before I was finally called into a room to meet with someone about my identity card. The actual meeting took less than 10 minutes, he simply took my paperwork, stamped a few things, and gave me a piece of paper with my NIE, or foreign identity number. In 4 weeks I have to go back to the office to have my fingerprints taken and my Identity Card made. Until then, my NIE will be enough for me to open a bank account (yay!).
All in all, it was a very frustrating process. I tried to stay calm and be patient and accept the realities of being a foreigner in a country. The government wants to make sure you are serious about living in their country, and who can blame them? I ended up sitting in the waiting room with a small group of American students all waiting for the same appointment that I was. It was interesting to meet other students and hear about their plans in Spain! Most of them were teaching English in schools in or around the city, and a few were studying.
Though this part of the day was very trying and stressful, it is a relief to know that it is done and I never have to wait in that line again! After a much needed lunch and siesta, the day definitely improved. My last flatmate showed up and I met him very briefly before he had to run to catch a train. His name is Ivan and he went to school in Cadiz (which is on the Southern coast of Spain), but he is now getting a Masters at Sevilla in marine and environmental science. It seems we have quite the range of studies in our apartment! Oscar studies engineering, Marta studies communication and publicity, Ivan studies environmental science, and I study medicine and public health. It should make for an interesting year!
Later this afternoon I also met my landlord's family (his wife and son, who live a few floors below us). They were extremely nice and welcoming. I was unsure about how I would be viewed as an American living with a group of Spanish students, but they were great! I was a little overwhelmed with how quickly they were all talking to each other, but I was able to pick up most of what they were saying. I've found that my comprehension level has gotten a lot better just in the few days I've been here. So even though the day started out on a rough note, it ended really well! Hopefully tomorrow will be another productive day and I can take care of my last few administrative tasks: opening a bank account, and finalizing my registration at the University! Hasta mañana :)

No comments: